Sunday, September 16, 2007

the typewriter

<

We purchased this old typewriter in a thrift store when we
lived in Oregon when we got it , it was in pretty good shape
over the years it just became a unique antique piece to go in our office.

the other day for some reason I have become very drawn to
it and wondered what it's original owner had done with it
did the person write a book?, was it used just to type letters? or
was it in a movie? or did a journalist for a newspaper write
great articles on it.? I pondered these questions in my mind all night
and just could not get it out of my head.

finally, I decided that it was special no matter what
it's history was and I am going to believe that
it was part of everything I imagined it to be
now that everyone uses computers I am glad to
have this typewriter in our office and I enjoy looking
at it and yes it does still type. but I just like having
it as part of our office.

2 comments:

Angela Marie said...

Awesome post! So you think like that too?! It reminds me of the adding machine that we have. It's amazing how much things have changed. Thank God that I learned on an old cash register, kids now do not know how to give simple change back. It is sad.

JB said...

If you ever get a chance to show the typewriter to an antiques expert, they could probably tell you where and when the typewriter originated. They use markings, workmanship details, etc. to idenfify the item.
They could also tell you the approximate value of the typewriter to a collector.

Nice picture and interesting post.